Home Theater Construction Pictures: Page 3

HT Pic's Page 1   HT Pics's Page 2   HT Pic's Page 4   HT Pic's Page 5   HT Pic's Page 6

Here are some new pictures. I have been concentrating on the back wall. There is now a layer of 1/2" Sound Board behind the 5/8" Drywall you see in the picture. The new wall infront of the drywall is ~2"-3" away from the drywall. When done the wall will be filled with insulation and as with the rest of the room it will also get a layer of Sound Board and drywall. This should help isolate any sounds from entering or exiting the rear wall into the utility room behind. I have already noticed the sound from the furnace and the central vac system are greatly reduced. I could just barley hear my wife talking on the other side of the wall.
     You can also see the beginnings of the soffits. The soffits will go around the perimeter of the room hiding pips, wiring, and the Air-Tite canned lights I will soon be installing. The opening on the right side of the pictures is where I am going to build a 3 tiered shelf so house components such as DVD and VHS, that I want access to from inside the room. All the other equipment will be behind that wall and run via remote IR emitters.

 

 

 


 


 

 

 Here is the Delta-FL product on the floor. Its grey just to the left of the 3/4" T&G plywood. It is anchored into the concrete using Tap-Con screws and a hammer drill. I used about 25 screws per 4'x8' sheet. Even with knee-pads on, this 2 day project took a toll on my body. You can also see I have installed the can lights in the soffits. There are 11 lights with 50W halogen bulbs around the perimeter of the room and one light in the area where the old light currently is in this picture.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Another shot of the flooring and me new wooden exterior door that is the entrance to the theater room. After installing this door things in the room are getting quiet. The weather seal around the door mutes much of the sounds from the 1st floor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Close up shot of Delta-FL and the plywood.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here is my front stage. It is made from 1/2" plywood on top of the 3/4" T&G sub-floor, anchored to the concrete using Tap-Con screws. A layer of 30lbs felt paper, 2x6 making the frame you see with caulking around the seams as shown in the left panel that has no sand and screwed together with 2 1/2" screws. Then filled with 300 lbs of play sand. Layer of felt paper. Layer of 1/2" plywood. Layer of felt paper. Layer of 3/4" plywood running in the opposite direction from the 1/2" underneath. All seams caulked together and screwed together with 3" screws. This was a four day project, but the stage is very solid and sounds the same no matter where you pound on the stage. Should transfer LFE very smoothly; I hope.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here is a picture of the rear stage. Its roughly 8'x8' using 2x8 construction and a layer of 3/4" T&G plywood on top. Felt paper was added between the sub floor and the 2x8's and the stage is filled with 2 layers of R19 insulation. There are several junction boxes in the front for power, 2 pair 14g speaker wire(future use for bass shakers for front seats), 3 Twisted Pair(8 conductor) to stair well (used for connecting Joysticks and other devices I may want), 2 Twisted Pair to my ethernet hub, and 1 coax to hub area. The wires in the back are just hanging there. I have yet to neaten them up, but I will wait till the rest of the wiring is done. The black box to the left of the doorway is a Lutron Grafik Eye controller. I purchase one with 4 zones, but I am only using 2 for now. I have the front 5 lights on one zone and the rear 6 lights on another zone. A great piece of equipment for a HT room. I also have a IR repeater for the Lutron and the components located under stairs so I can use my Philips Pronto to dim the lights and start the show.

 

 

 

 

Home